Al Nelson STEM Scholarship
The Al Nelson Endowment Scholarship testifies to the legacy and generosity of longtime teacher, coach, and friend, Al Nelson. When Al passed in 2018, he asked that the money left over from his estate be gifted to Valley Christian, and that a “math scholarship” would be made available. The Al Nelson Endowment Scholarship is the method the school has chosen to honor that request.
The Al Nelson STEM Scholarship is intended as a financial merit scholarship for an exceptional or aspiring math/STEM student who is graduating from VCHS and pursuing a math or STEM emphasis or career post-high school. If no suitable student qualifies in any given year, the scholarship will be awarded as a financial merit scholarship for an exceptional or aspiring math student currently attending VCS (high school or junior high).
$2,000, one-time scholarship
- Student must currently be enrolled in 12th grade at VCS
- As noted above, if no suitable student qualifies, the award may be given to a non-graduating VCS student
- Student must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.5 or higher
- Student must demonstrate their pursuit of a math or STEM emphasis or career
- Students that demonstrate some level of “well-roundedness” and participation in clubs, programs, teams, etc will be given preference
- Student must complete an essay (no more than 400 words) about their plans/goals within math/STEM, what they enjoy about math/STEM, or what specific experience shaped their view on math/STEM.
INSTRUCTIONS TO APPLY
- Complete the form below.
- 2019-20 applications must be received by Friday, 5/1.
- The winner will be notified in mid-May.
- The scholarship will be awarded at the VCHS commencement ceremony.
After clicking “Submit,” the page will refresh and you will see a confirmation that your application has been submitted. This will display in red text and say, “Thank you for completing the Al Nelson STEM Scholarship application.” If you do not see this confirmation, your application may not have been submitted.